Monday, July 20, 2009

Sports

Do children of this age play enough sport? Do they gain from this? How does one encourage their involvement in sports?

Sports do more than just contribute to a child's physical development. Children in schools today are increasingly overburdened with academics. Most parents make all efforts to get them to excel at studies. However, going with the popular saying, 'all work and no play' is not necessarily the best strategy to improve a child's performance at school. However, it is important that a child enjoys the sport he plays. Forcing a child into sports may put him off the idea of playing completely.

For children to grow and develop into healthy individuals there needs to be a reasonable balance between work and play. Sports play an important part in the development of children.

I remember when we were young, we use to get back from school, finish lunch and hit the desk to study / finish homework in anticipation that in the evening we will go down to play, failing which we were not allowed to go down. I use to live in Camac Street in a multistory building with two blocks and ten floors each, minimum 3-4 flats per floor so the number of children to play in the evenings were humongous.

We had this huge badminton court where there was proper light arrangements and we all use to meet there at about 5:30 / 6:00 pm and play till 8/8:30 pm, unless being cruelly called by respective parents for dinner!!; and Saturday / Sundays were usually morning time. This was my ritual everyday from maybe Class 1 or 2 till Class 10, after which I shifted to another place, joined college, got married and the usual stuff followed.

From my personal experience I feel participation in sports helps children to:

1. Maintain good health: Unlike academics, sport is both physical and cerebral. Involvement in sports helps children develop physically. Outdoor sports encourage them to be out in the open air. The discipline associated with sports teaches them healthy habits such as right eating and exercising.

2. Cultivate team spirit: Most outdoor games involve teamwork. They teach children how to coordinate with peers to fulfill a common task or accomplish a common goal. This involves superior communication skills, the capacity to assess situations, and the ability to take immediate and critical decisions. Children will require these skills when they finish school and step out into the professional world.

3. Become confident: Taking part in sports can boost children's morale. Children realise that being selected to represent their school in a tournament is an honor and a responsibility.(I went on to become my Red Team vice caption in school !!) Their ability to fulfill this responsibility instills confidence in them. Children who are into sports are known to display confidence in other areas of their life, such as academics, making friends, and relationships with adults.

4. Cope with failure: Sports is as much about winning as about losing. It helps children not just to accept failures, but also to learn from them. (Now at this stage when I look back, I realise yes, this is so true. Participation in sports taught me to cultivate perseverance and single-mindedly pursue my goals. )

Sports are not just about beating an opponent; it is about surpassing individual capacities. Playing a competitive sport helps children to know their limitations and work towards overcoming them.

Although now when I ponder in those old lanes, I feel sad that I don’t have time (or rather not taken time out) for sports anymore. I am sucked in the mundane aspects of life and career through which I have forgotten the joys I got playing badminton, volleyball and so many other races.

Well, this article has certainly brought back memories which maybe I should give it a serious thought as and when my health permits!!

1 comment:

  1. So absolutely true, Priya--every word you say I've lived and I rue that my kids don't really know on a daily basis. Physical stimulation is every bit as important as intellectual development. This generation will realize it too late!

    ReplyDelete